2024-05-20 Meeting notes



Discussion items

1 minScribeAll
Tod Olson is next, followed by Ankita Sen

Reminder:  Please copy/paste the Zoom chat into the notes.  If you miss it, this is saved along with the meeting recording, but having it here has benefits.

5-10 minLiaison Updates
  • CC: Maccabee Levine 
    • No meeting this week.
  • PC: Tod Olson
    • Introduction of Developer Advocate
    • Discussion of how to get better data in the snapshot and test environments
      • 2024-05-16 Product Council Agenda and Meeting Notes
        • Need updated data, appropriate for newer functionality
        • smaller data sets for dev environments that still allow range of testing
        • Note that different institutions use different features and cannot rely on data from just one site to test all functionality
        • ideas on updating from contributors and anonymizing data
        • PC bringing together a small group to figure out next steps, unclear if there is a TC stake here
      • Slide deck: Better sample data in Reference environments
  • RMS Group: Jakub Skoczen
    • Positive feedback to adding reminder about architectural changes with TCR require to release schedule, will be added to Ramsons document for Sunflower release
  • Security Team: Craig McNally
    • Processing backlog, many false positives or vulnerabilities that do not apply in our use case
  • Tri-council Application Formalization: Jenn Colt
    • Was off last couple weeks
    • VBar is preparing an overview of Eureka, providing big picture for general audience.
5 minUpcoming MeetingsAll
  •  - Dedicated Discussion - Communicating Breaking Changes
  • - Regular TC Meeting
    • Holiday in the US & UK - Cancel Monday and use Wed as regular meeting
  • - Use as regular meeting for this week, due to Monday holiday
  •   - Regular TC Meeting
  •  - Alternate time meeting for China and Australia topics?
4 minTCR Board ReviewAll
10-15 min

Technical Council Sub-Groups Updates


5 minRFCs


  • Go Language: When will we do the final review?
    • Next Monday  - Jakub not available
  • Application Formalization: When will we do the final review?
    • The following Monday  
5 minAction Items
  • Jeremy Huff:
    • Advertise Communicating Breaking Changes PoC Demo update
    • Reach out to Australia and China for topics
    • Add developer suggested topics to our backlog
      • Done.
1 minDecision LogAll

Nothing new

5-10 minCo Replacement for Jeremy HuffAll

Craig McNally doesn't mind staying on as co-chair to aid in transitioning to new TC leadership once Jeremy leaves this summer.  

Jenn Colt would like to volunteer, but she's up for re-election.

It seems it might be best to wait until after the elections, but it cannot hurt for those interested to speak up now. Jenn willing to be a backup until elections and next formal assignment of officers.

Time Permitting

Officially Supported Technologies (OST)


Standing agenda item to review/discuss any requested or required changes to officially supported technology lists

Need volunteer to update calendar, especially milestones on OST page. Also reach out to Peter Murray to see if we have access to the old calendar to check what milestones we had put there.

updated OST milestones during meeting, Sunflower page to be created

Volunteer needed to create a calendar page for TC recurring events - Maccabee Levine

Question about AWS SDK version, v.1 going out of support end of 2025. FOLIO using for S3, need to check which version specific modules use. Craig McNally to investigate which version modules are actually using.

NAZoom Chat
10:03:23 From Owen Stephens to Everyone:
Public holiday in Germany and possibly other parts of Europe today
10:03:28 From Craig McNally to Everyone:
Reacted to "Public holiday in Ge..." with 👍
10:13:09 From vbar to Everyone:
I wasn’t there
10:14:42 From Maccabee Levine to Everyone:
Replying to "I wasn’t there"

Sorry 😵 that's what happens to my brain on a Monday morning...
10:14:46 From Jenn Colt to Everyone:
Yes sorry
10:15:58 From Owen Stephens to Everyone:
In the UK as well
10:16:04 From Owen Stephens to Everyone:
Holiday that is
10:18:05 From Jenn Colt to Everyone:
The reminders get posted by slackbot, I would expect they outlast channel membership
10:21:42 From vbar to Everyone:
dropping off
10:28:57 From Craig McNally to Everyone:
Aug 30 - Sunflower release scope comp. deadline. -> Move Sunflower from DRAFT -> ACCEPTED
10:29:48 From Craig McNally to Everyone:
Sept 27 - Ramsons feature freeze -> Sunflower from ACCEPTED -> ACTIVE
10:31:06 From Craig McNally to Everyone:
Nov. 18 - Ramsons GA -> Quesnelia from ACTIVE -> ARCHIVED. Also: Create Trillium OST page.
10:33:07 From Craig McNally to Everyone:
~May 17 - Quesnelia GA -> Poppy from ACTIVE -> ARCHIVED. Also: Create Sunflower OST page.
10:35:04 From Maccabee Levine to Everyone:
May 17 - Quesnelia GA -> Orchid from ACTIVE -> ARCHIVED.
10:35:23 From Maccabee Levine to Everyone:
Nov. 18 - Ramsons GA -> Poppy from ACTIVE -> ARCHIVED.
10:46:05 From Marc Johnson to Everyone:
This is the chat about the recent work - https://folio-project.slack.com/archives/C58TABALV/p1712765996167839?thread_ts=1712764836.271389&channel=C58TABALV&message_ts=1712765996.167839
10:46:49 From Marc Johnson to Everyone:
And this is the shared client - https://github.com/folio-org/folio-s3-client

Topic Backlog

Decision Log ReviewAll

Review decisions that are in progress.  Can any of them be accepted?  rejected?

Translation SubgroupAllSince we're having trouble finding volunteers for a subgroup, maybe we can make progress during a dedicated discussion session?
Communicating Breaking ChangesAllCurrently there is a PoC, developed by Maccabee Levine, of a utility to catalog Github PRs that have been labeled with the "breaking change" label. We would like to get developer feedback on the feasibility of this label being used more often, and the usefulness of this utility. 
Officially Supported Technologies - UpkeepAll

Previous Notes:

  • A workflow for these pages. When do they transition from one state to another. Do we even need statuses at all ?

Stripes architecture group has some questions about the Poppy release.

Zak: A handshake between developers, dev ops and the TC. Who makes that decision and how do we pass along that knowledge ? E.g. changes in Nodes and in the UI boxes. How to communicate this ? We have a large number of teams, all have to be aware of it.  TC should be alerted that changes are happening. We have a couple of dedicated channels for that. Most dev ops have subscribed to these channels. How can dev ops folk raise issues to the next level of community awareness ? There hasn't been a specific piece of TC to move that along.

Craig: There is a fourth group, "Capacity Planning" or "Release Planning". Slack is the de facto communication channel.  There are no objections to using Slack. An example is the Java 17 RFC. 

Craig: The TC gets it on the agenda and we will discuss it. The TC gets the final say.

Marc Johnson: We shouldn’t use the DevOps Channel. The dev ops folks have made it clear that it should only be used for support requests made to them.

Jakub: Our responsibility is to avoid piling up technical debt.

Marc: Some set of people have to actually make the call. Who lowers the chequered flag ?

Craig: It needs to ultimately come to the TC at least for awareness. There is a missing piece. Capacity Planning needs to provide input here. 

Marc: Stakeholders / Capacity Planning could make that decision. Who makes the decision ? Is it the government or is it some parts of the body ?

Marc: the developers community, the dev ops community and sys ops are involved. For example the Spring Framework discussion or the Java 17 discussion. But it was completely separate to the TC decision. It is a coordination and communication effort.

Marc: Maybe the TC needs to let go that they are the decision makers so that they be a moderating group.

Jakub: I agree with Marc. But we are not a system operating group. Dependency management should be in the responsibility of Release management. There are structures in the project for that.

Jason Root: I agree with Jakub and with Marc also. Policies should drive operational/release/support aspects of Folio.

Jason Root: If the idea of “support” is that frameworks are supported, then of course the project should meet that.

Marc Johnson
Some group needs to inform OleksAii when a relevant policy event occurs.
These documents effectively ARE the manifestation of the policy.

Craig: This is a topic for the next Monday session.

Craig to see if Oleksii Petrenko could join us to discuss the process for updating the officially supported technologies lists.

Dev Documentation VisibilityAll

Possible topic/activity for a Wednesday session:


  • Ideas for the type of developer-facing documentation we think would be most helpful for new developers
  • How we might bring existing documentation up to date and ensure it's consistent 
  • etc.
API linting within our backend modulesAll


Hello team, I would like to discuss API linting within our backend modules. Some time ago, we transitioned our linting process from Jenkins to GitHub Actions as outlined in https://folio-org.atlassian.net/browse/FOLIO-3678. I am assuming that this move was done via some technical council decision. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
In my observations, I've found two problems:
  1. Schema linting does not occur if the schemas are in YAML format.
  2. There are issues with resolving some deeper references during API linting.
Although I'm unsure about how to improve the existing linting implementations within Folio, I propose to consider an open-source solution that handles OpenAPI linting effectively and allows us to define custom rules. For your reference: https://stoplight.io/open-source/spectral A test of this solution can be found in this PR: https://github.com/folio-org/mod-search/pull/567. The same PR also provides an example of custom rule definition: https://github.com/folio-org/mod-search/pull/567/files#diff-d5da7cb43c444434994b76f3b04aa6e702c09e938de09dbc09d72569d611d9ab.Also, by employing 'Spectral', I discovered AsyncAPI (https://www.asyncapi.com/en), an API design tool similar to OpenAPI but for asynchronous interactions. I suggest that we consider using AsyncAPI in FOLIO to generate documentation for Kafka interactions.

PR TemplatesAll


Hello team, Small request to consider.
Regarding pr templates.
  1. From my perspective, pr template is not good idea. Even the biggest open source projects that are contributed by many people don't have any pr template. Currently what we have for acq modules https://github.com/folio-org/mod-orders-storage/blob/master/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md
  2. These pr template is inconsistent in different teams.
What I suggest is that, pr template shouldn't be any instructions, because most developer who are creating pr have already understand the rules. If we put just two section into template, it will encourage developers to write more about their work and that lead to knowledge  sharing among developers.
Java 21All


Is Tech Council considering to update to java 21, I head good things from Netflix engineering teams about Garbage collector
https://www.infoq.com/presentations/netflix-java/ (edited)

Proposed Mod KafkaAll


Mike Taylor

Proposal. If and only if a FOLIO instance is running Kafka, it should insert and enable a module called mod-kafka, which consists entirely of a module descriptor that says it provides the interface kafka. The purpose is so that other modules can use the standard <IfInterface> and similar tools to determine whether they should attempt Kafka operations. Rationale: the FOLIO ILS depends absolutely on Kafka, but other uses of the platform will not. One such example: a dev platform that includes only mod-users, used as a source of change events for Metadb.

Action Items