2024-04-15 Meeting notes



Discussion items

1 minScribeAll

 Jakub Skoczen is next, followed by Florian Gleixner

Reminder:  Please copy/paste the Zoom chat into the notes.  If you miss it, this is saved along with the meeting recording, but having it here has benefits.

5-10 minLiaison Updates
5 minUpcoming MeetingsAll
4 minTCR Board ReviewAll
5-10 min

Technical Council Sub Groups Updates


  • Jeremy: a subgroup to be formed regarding static code analysis as a potential SonarCloud replacement
5 minRFCs


  • Go: Jakub will set a final date for the public review of the RFC and announce it, conversations to be resolved, unresolved ones to be added under the "unresolved" section in the RFC
  • App formalization: new comments added, Craig will take a look
1 minDecision LogAll

Standing agenda item... is there anything in the decision log requiring attention? 

5 minAction Item UpdatesAll
  • Wolfcon Submission
  • Developer Channels Slack Communication
  • Developer Advocate Update –
    • Jeremy will meet Patrick, the Dev Advocate soon
    • Craig: the Dev Advocate position is for 6 months. there is a budget for an extension but we'll want to revisit
    • Maccabee: we've gotten specific enough for the first month and given a broad description of the positions, afterward may be a good idea for the DA to come back and propose specific goals
10-15 minConsolidation of Developer DocumentationAll

Currently, Developer Documentation exists in several locations:

  • dev.folio.org
  • the folio wiki
  • within GitHub repositories

During last Wednesday's dedicated discussion, there seemed to be a loose consensus around the idea of consolidating this documentation into a single location. We should discuss if this is a course of action that we would like to take, and if so, how this can be done.

  • Marc: should this be the decision for the DA to make?
  • Maccabee: it seems that there is a general conflict about general documents on the dev site vs the wiki, arguments for not losing specific contents from the website
  • Jeremy: the TC could define some goals for the DA but not prescribe how
  • Jen: since the migration to the Cloud, the quality of results from the wiki is not great
  • Jen: it might be a big project so it should be considered if that's what the DA should focus on
  • Macabbee: docs are a time-sink, 
Time Permitting

Officially Supported Technologies (OST)


Standing agenda item to review/discuss any requested or required changes to officially supported technology lists

Time Permitting

Topic Backlog Grooming


Review the topics on our Topic Backlog to remove those that are no longer relevant, modify those that require change, and add topics that might be missing.

NAZoom Chat
Marc Johnson to Everyone (15 Apr 2024, 17.20)
My only point is that is an inherent conflict of an interest for the submitters

Marc Johnson to Everyone (15 Apr 2024, 17.30)
How will we know if this role was worthwhile?

Jenn Colt to Everyone (15 Apr 2024, 17.31)
Yep, that is fair to him too

Marc Johnson to Everyone (15 Apr 2024, 17.31)
That still leaves us to come up with what those measures are

Jenn Colt to Everyone (15 Apr 2024, 17.44)
I was thinking that too

Jenn Colt to Everyone (15 Apr 2024, 17.50)
At the risk of derailing, searching in the wiki has gotten so bad, I wonder if we still think it is better than say GitHub pages
We don’t have to talk about that now

Topic Backlog

Decision Log ReviewAll

Review decisions that are in progress.  Can any of them be accepted?  rejected?

Translation SubgroupAllSince we're having trouble finding volunteers for a subgroup, maybe we can make progress during a dedicated discussion session?
Communicating Breaking ChangesAllCurrently there is a PoC, developed by Maccabee Levine, of a utility to catalog Github PRs that have been labeled with the "breaking change" label. We would like to get developer feedback on the feasibility of this label being used more often, and the usefulness of this utility. 
Officially Supported Technologies - UpkeepAll

Previous Notes:

  • A workflow for these pages. When do they transition from one state to another. Do we even need statuses at all ?

Stripes architecture group has some questions about the Poppy release.

Zak: A handshake between developers, dev ops and the TC. Who makes that decision and how do we pass along that knowledge ? E.g. changes in Nodes and in the UI boxes. How to communicate this ? We have a large number of teams, all have to be aware of it.  TC should be alerted that changes are happening. We have a couple of dedicated channels for that. Most dev ops have subscribed to these channels. How can dev ops folk raise issues to the next level of community awareness ? There hasn't been a specific piece of TC to move that along.

Craig: There is a fourth group, "Capacity Planning" or "Release Planning". Slack is the de facto communication channel.  There are no objections to using Slack. An example is the Java 17 RFC. 

Craig: The TC gets it on the agenda and we will discuss it. The TC gets the final say.

Marc Johnson: We shouldn’t use the DevOps Channel. The dev ops folks have made it clear that it should only be used for support requests made to them.

Jakub: Our responsibility is to avoid piling up technical debt.

Marc: Some set of people have to actually make the call. Who lowers the chequered flag ?

Craig: It needs to ultimately come to the TC at least for awareness. There is a missing piece. Capacity Planning needs to provide input here. 

Marc: Stakeholders / Capacity Planning could make that decision. Who makes the decision ? Is it the government or is it some parts of the body ?

Marc: the developers community, the dev ops community and sys ops are involved. For example the Spring Framework discussion or the Java 17 discussion. But it was completely separate to the TC decision. It is a coordination and communication effort.

Marc: Maybe the TC needs to let go that they are the decision makers so that they be a moderating group.

Jakub: I agree with Marc. But we are not a system operating group. Dependency management should be in the responsibility of Release management. There are structures in the project for that.

Jason Root: I agree with Jakub and with Marc also. Policies should drive operational/release/support aspects of Folio.

Jason Root: If the idea of “support” is that frameworks are supported, then of course the project should meet that.

Marc Johnson
Some group needs to inform OleksAii when a relevant policy event occurs.
These documents effectively ARE the manifestation of the policy.

Craig: This is a topic for the next Monday session.

Craig to see if Oleksii Petrenko could join us to discuss the process for updating the officially supported technologies lists.

Dev Documentation VisibilityAll

Possible topic/activity for a Wednesday session:


  • Ideas for the type of developer-facing documentation we think would be most helpful for new developers
  • How we might bring existing documentation up to date and ensure it's consistent 
  • etc.

Action Items

TC members to review policy guidance in Ramsons OST page and provide feedback