2022-05-09 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









Arthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxLinda MillerCornell University
xSharon BeltaineCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxElena O'MalleyEmerson

Nancy BolducCornell University
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Jean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmotxMichael PatrickThe University of Alabama
xAxel DoerrerUniversity MainzxEric PenningtonTexas A&M

Shelley DoljackStanford UniversityxScott PerryUniversity of Chicago


Stefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxNatalya PikulikCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegexVandana ShahCornell University

Alissa HafeleStanford University
Linnea ShiehStanford University

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Kevin KishimotoStanford UniversityxAmelia SuttonU. Massachusetts
xIngolf Kusshbz
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Joanne LearyCornell University
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

xEliana LimaFenway Library Organization
Vitus TangStanford University

Alexander LaoStanford University
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Eric LuhrsLehigh University
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

xAngela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: ?
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


WOLFCon 2022

  • Aug 31-Sep 2; Hamburg, Germany
  • Registration Open (in person)
  • Current planned sessions
  • Three reporting-related sessions planned:
    • SIG organized: Reporting Lessons from Implementers (Panel, Standard (50 min), Hall (up to 250 people), Live presentation)
    • LDP/Nassib organized:
      • Introduction to LDP
      • Library Data Platform: Analytics in the Library

New meeting: LDP Users Group

  • May 12 (11:00 a.m. Eastern) 
  • Both LDP 1.x and Metadb users, but introducing more Metadb content, more cross-FOLIO-ReShare content
  • Announcement:

    I would like to invite you to our first LDP Users Group meeting on Thursday, May 12 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time (US and Canada).  Our speaker will be Sean Cwiek from the Midwest Collaborative for Library Services, on the topic of creating consortial reports in the ReShare project.  There will also be time for sharing and learning from others on topics such as data models, SQL, and reporting tools.  Please bring any reporting work that you might like to share or questions you may have.

    Contact Nassib Nassar for any additional information on the meeting.

    Zoom link:
    Meeting ID: 895 5075 3031
    Passcode: 218855

How to find our latest recordings

Useful tool for learning about LDP structure:

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

Converting queries to Tableau dashboardsSharon and Vandana
  • Selectors were unhappy with DBeaver - some are happy to adapt the queries, but others don't even want to have to sort and filter in Excel
    • Cornell has a Confluence page that lists all the SQL queries, and then it also links to Staff Dashboards and Selector Dashboards (both additional confluence pages with a quick description and a link to the Tableau dashboard)
  • Finished dashboard is shared on the Cornell Tableau server
  • Tableau dashboard pulls from a live query - query is refreshed from the LDP every morning
  • various visualizations and filter so people can zoom in on just what they want; also a "reset filters" button
  • Selector dashboards are most sensitive (funds, etc.)
  • also have a drop down that allows people to select what is used in the chart
  • have alternative view options - one chart, one table
  • set up a connection to LDP, then select "New Custom SQL"
  • connect to a table in the local schema, and the table itself can be refreshed when you want (e.g., quarterly)
  • data download: trained the staff to use the server download button
  • Also set up Excel downloads that are refreshed daily
    • runs at 7am
    • send files to Box
    • different reports for different teams
    • In DBeaver (Enterprise only? Also Community?), set up a task to automate the report
      • open query
      • create a new data export task, select connection, paste in the SQL, select export file format, configure output, then select export directory (mapped Box folder); final step is the Windows scheduler step if you want it to run at a particular
  • Also training staff in how the dashboards get built
    • What data?
      • purpose requirements
    • Write LDP Query
      • logic
      • integrity
    • Build Tableau Dashboard
      • layout
      • filters
  • Tableau server helps a bit with permissions
How to do report project tracking moving forwardAll
  • Where should we be tracking new report requests?
    • currently have GitHub issues and JIRA tickets
    • JIRA is painful to master, but there are benefits - more visible in FOLIO project, others are used to using JIRA for requests
    • might be good to keep using JIRA, but we could look for easier ways to use it
    • another benefit - if the report request is in JIRA, it can be associated with data change/feature requests
    • maybe we just need to re-invigorate our use of JIRA, but it's hard when we're focusing on porting to Metadb and reacting to live institutions
    • maybe on Thursday try to ask "what do we do now?"
    • if we do stick with JIRA, probably need to revisit the workflow and do some SIG training
      • probably something for our roadmap
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • We are still looking for help with derived tables and reviewers. See our sign up sheet.
  • Our next session will go through the review process and one more example of porting over a derived table from LDP to metaDB.

ERM Working Group

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Honeysuckle documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Iris documentation is in progress, due December 15
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • Reviewing a pull request 
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • Converting queries to dashboards: Sharon and Vandana (May 9, tentative)
  • hosting experiences from implementers
  • Reporting Vision and Strategy work

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)