2022-07-21 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









XArthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, BoulderXLinda MillerCornell University
XSharon BeltaineCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, BoulderXElena O'MalleyEmerson

Nancy BolducCornell University
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Jean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmot
Michael PatrickThe University of Alabama

Tim DannayMount Holyoke College
Eric PenningtonTexas A&M

Axel DoerrerUniversity Mainz
Scott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Shelley DoljackStanford University
Natalya PikulikCornell University

Stefan DombekLeipzig University
Vandana ShahCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegeXLinnea ShiehStanford University
XAlissa HafeleStanford University
Clare SpitzerStanford University
XJeanette KalchikStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts
XKevin KishimotoStanford University
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Ingolf Kusshbz
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Joanne LearyCornell University
Vitus TangStanford University
XEliana LimaFenway Library OrganizationXIrina TrapidoStanford University

Alexander LaoStanford University
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

Eric LuhrsLehigh UniversityXAngela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


FOLIO Analytics 1.4.0 is in pre-release!

Reporting Documentation Subgroup needs new leader

  • We are bidding a fond farewell to Eric Pennington, who has done a wonderful job on our query development teams as well as our documentation team. Thank you, Eric!
  • The documentation team now needs a new leader. This is generally one meeting a month with the FOLIO-wide Documentation Working Group, plus additional time coordinating with the Reporting SIG subgroup members. (The documentation is at a relatively stable state now, with minor updates needed for each new FOLIO release.)
  • Also subteam meetings every other week.
  • Documentation is written to conform to the Google Developer Style Guide.
  • No need to have extensive experience with the SIG or the FOLIO reporting systems at this time! This is a great way to learn about everything!
  • Please reach out to Axel Dörrer or Sharon Beltaine if you might be interested.

Using new Slack space for LDP questions

  • There are questions related to LDP projects (e.g., LDP-1, Metadb, LDLite, LDP query builder app) that cut across FOLIO and ReShare
  • Nassib is trying out a dedicated LDP Slack space for questions/support
  • Can use this invitation to add yourself

Want to join Development Team meetings?

  • These meetings have been happening on Wednesdays, 9am Eastern, every two weeks
  • Last week we filled out a scheduling poll to find a new time that is more convenient for Pacific coast
  • The new time will be: 1st and 3rd Wednesdays at 11am Eastern
  • Let Angela Zoss (Old)  know if you would like to start coming to the meetings
  • Angela Zoss (Old) will add a wiki page to explain about this group and where to find meeting notes/recordings

WOLFCon 2022

  • Aug 31-Sep 2; Hamburg, Germany
  • Registration Open
    • Early registration for in person is a $50 savings, extended to June 3 
    • Virtual attendance: $15, already open
  • Current planned sessions
  • Two reporting-related sessions planned:
    • SIG organized: Reporting Lessons from Implementers (Panel, Standard (50 min), Hall (up to 250 people), Live presentation)
    • LDP/Nassib organized:
      • Introduction to LDP

How to find our latest recordings

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

FOLIO Data Model Training: RA/UM

Draft Roadmap Milestones
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • We are still looking for reviewers. Please contact MM reports working group.
  • We have completed pull requests for all but 1 derived table for metadb.

ERM Working Group

  • ERM Prototype and Query Development Status
    • folio-analytics version 1.5:
      • add comments to columns in all derived tables
      • We will revise the directory structure for report queries within erm on GitHub (metadb) to be consistent with the repository rules.
  • eUsage
    • First overview of what to expect.
    • We'd like to create a derived table.
    • The development requires time and expertise from SME.
      • We're going to take it in phases:
        1. Get test data and enter it into our test environment.
        2. Analyze data structure.
        3. Invite SME and have data explained.
        4. Creation of derived tables
  • Topics for the future
    • Open Access
  • Meetings are bi-weekly on tuesdays 11am ET alternating with RM Working Group

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Honeysuckle documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Iris documentation is in progress, due December 15
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • ask for presenters: hosting experiences from implementers
  • Annual Reporting Goals
    • (in progress) Support the transition from LDP to Metadb (e.g., update derived table and report queries, update documentation, outreach, new training)
    • (ready to start) Developing training/onboarding for new SIG members/report users (esp. FOLIO-specific data model and transformation stuff)
    • (in progress) Develop a FOLIO Reporting Vision and Strategy
      • secondary goal: come up with language that can be used to explain to our institutions the importance of the work and of devoting resources
    • Improve communication between SIG and developers of apps so we hear about data model changes in advance
    • continued advocacy on part of the SIG to governance groups
    • (ready to start) Review JIRA issues, clean up, revisit strategy for JIRA
  • July 21: RA/UM data model training

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)