2022-05-19 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









Arthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxLinda MillerCornell University
xSharon BeltaineCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Elena O'MalleyEmerson

Nancy BolducCornell University
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago
xSuzette CanedaStanford University
Jean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmotxMichael PatrickThe University of Alabama

Axel DoerrerUniversity Mainz
Eric PenningtonTexas A&M

Shelley DoljackStanford University
Scott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Stefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxNatalya PikulikCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegexVandana ShahCornell University
xAlissa HafeleStanford University
Linnea ShiehStanford University

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Clare SpitzerStanford University
xKevin KishimotoStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Ingolf Kusshbz
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Joanne LearyCornell University
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

xEliana LimaFenway Library Organization
Vitus TangStanford University
xAlexander LaoStanford University
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Eric LuhrsLehigh University
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

xAngela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: ?
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Canceling SIG meeting on Monday, May 23

Congrats to the documentation team on new Kiwi docs

WOLFCon 2022

  • Aug 31-Sep 2; Hamburg, Germany
  • Registration Open
    • Early registration for in person is a $50 savings, extended to June 3 
    • Virtual attendance: $15, already open
  • Current planned sessions
  • Three reporting-related sessions planned:
    • SIG organized: Reporting Lessons from Implementers (Panel, Standard (50 min), Hall (up to 250 people), Live presentation)
    • LDP/Nassib organized:
      • Introduction to LDP
      • Library Data Platform: Analytics in the Library

New meeting: LDP Users Group

  • Parts of the May 12 meeting were recorded; contact Nassib for the recording
  • Announcements for this and other things related to query development are being made on Slack channel #reporting-lab

How to find our latest recordings

  • Separate folders right now: January/February recordings, recordings from March and onward
  • New problem with recordings: now need a password. Use the same password from our Zoom meetings. If you enter the password and it just takes you to the password screen again, refresh the browser page and the recording should show up.

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

Converting queries to Tableau dashboardsSharon and Vandana
  • using Confluence wiki to create a landing page for reporting
  • some people had trouble with SQL and DBeaver
  • instead, created some Tableau dashboards - some available to (soon) all staff, some more restricted
  • for dashboards, the SQL code runs in Tableau and connects directly to LDP, gets new data every morning
  • for circulation desk transactions, for example, can see transactions by day of week for each month, filter by material type/service point/action type
  • also have a dashboard for physical collections use
  • for the restricted dashboards (selector dashboards), have some like fund summary, fund details, funds with expense class, fund expenditures, approved invoices, and e-usage (COUNTER stats compiled by EBSCO twice per year)
  • Use built-in download button to allow people to download data or the dashboard itself
  • also have automated Excel reports - use DBeaver to set up an automated task that runs each of the queries, set up to filter by each selector team, and exports an Excel file to a Box folder (easy to lock down to just certain people who should have permission)
    • note: you can create tasks on the community edition of DBeaver, but the task scheduler is only on the enterprise edition
  • To save Excel reports in the Community Edition of DBeaver, might be able to use this extension: https://github.com/dbeaver/dbeaver/wiki/Extension-Office
  • possible that the Cornell dashboards could be repurposed as template dashboards for institutions to just get started
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • We are still looking for help with derived tables and reviewers. See our sign up sheet.
  • Our next session will go through the review process and one more example of porting over a derived table from LDP to metaDB.

ERM Working Group

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Honeysuckle documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Iris documentation is in progress, due December 15
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • Reviewing a pull request 
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • hosting experiences from implementers
  • Reporting Vision and Strategy work
    • How to do report project tracking moving forward
  • End of June: how is the alternating week schedule working for SIG meetings?

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)