2022-05-05 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









Arthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxLinda MillerCornell University

Sharon BeltaineCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Elena O'MalleyEmerson

Nancy BolducCornell University
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago
xSuzette CanedaStanford UniversityxJean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmot
Michael PatrickThe University of Alabama

Axel DoerrerUniversity MainzxEric PenningtonTexas A&M

Shelley DoljackStanford UniversityxScott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Stefan DombekLeipzig University
Natalya PikulikCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five College
Vandana ShahCornell University
xAlissa HafeleStanford UniversityxLinnea ShiehStanford University
xJeanette KalchikStanford University
Clare SpitzerStanford University
xKevin KishimotoStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Ingolf Kusshbz
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Joanne LearyCornell University
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

xEliana LimaFenway Library Organization
Vitus TangStanford University
xAlexander LaoStanford UniversityxIrina TrapidoStanford University

Eric LuhrsLehigh UniversityxKevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

xAngela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: ?
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


WOLFCon 2022

  • Aug 31-Sep 2; Hamburg, Germany
  • Registration Open
  • Current sessions
  • Three reporting-related sessions planned:
    • SIG organized: Reporting Lessons from Implementers (Panel, Standard (50 min), Hall (up to 250 people), Live presentation)
    • LDP/Nassib organized:
      • Introduction to LDP (Workshop, Extended (80 min), Hall (up to 250 people), Live presentation)
      • Library Data Platform: Analytics in the Library

New meeting: LDP Users Group

  • May 12 (11:00 a.m. Eastern) 
  • Both LDP 1.x and Metadb users, but introducing more Metadb content, more cross-FOLIO-ReShare content
  • Announcement:

    I would like to invite you to our first LDP Users Group meeting on Thursday, May 12 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time (US and Canada).  Our speaker will be Sean Cwiek from the Midwest Collaborative for Library Services, on the topic of creating consortial reports in the ReShare project.  There will also be time for sharing and learning from others on topics such as data models, SQL, and reporting tools.  Please bring any reporting work that you might like to share or questions you may have.

    Contact Nassib Nassar for any additional information on the meeting.

    Zoom link:
    Meeting ID: 895 5075 3031
    Passcode: 218855

How to find our latest recordings

Time for a Training Working Group?

  • One of our Goals for 2022 is to develop training and onboarding resources specific to reporting
  • Is it time to form a small team?
  • Anyone interested?

Useful tool for learning about LDP structure:

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

2022 Goal: Develop a FOLIO Reporting Vision and StrategyAll

Following up on statement of scope brainstorm (see April 21 and April 11 notes)

Summary of previous discussions:

Communication/Training: [maybe split communication and training into two separate sections]

  • training and onboarding, marketing and outreach
  • helping people build SQL skills
  • helping people understand FOLIO data structures
    • helping SIG members understand what's under the hood of FOLIO
    • helpful in understanding the structure of FOLIO.  It's come in handy in debugging/identifying issues after going live.
  • been a good place for people to come as a centralized point of information; with the subgroups, people get split up, but the SIG meeting brings everyone together to get acquainted with things
  • Identifying reporting-specific needs as it relates to the Folio community - like need for good communication in development; influencing and advocating for FOLIO governance practices that meet the needs of the reporting community
  • Helping other SIGs - outreach to other SIGs, maintaining strong ties for information flow/support of each other's work
    • making sure we're not duplicating effort, making sure we're not working on something that is already available in-app
    • giving feedback to FOLIO app developers on what is needed to support reporting
  • bridging the knowledge gap between the technical and non-technical (functional?) people (or devs/SMEs)
  • advocate for resources for reporting
  • Advertise benefits of SIG membership/participation:
    • Benefits to community - other perspectives and workflows
    • Benefits to institutions - visibility, validation
    • Benefits to individuals getting involved - personal development and skills (e.g., SQL, GitHub, networking/connections)
  • documentation
  • help clarify the differences between different FOLIO reporting solutions (different software, different hosting options)

Supporting the LDP tools

  • the growing LDP ecosystem (LDP 1.x, Metadb, LDLite, LDP MARC, the LDP app, FOLIO Analytics) - committed to being active stakeholders in these systems
    • really important to set the scope of what we are supporting, what the limits are, etc.
  • not writing the code for the LDP project software, but contributing substantial testing, QA, specifying new features needed, troubleshooting problems as they come up; making it useful; feedback on system design proposals; develop reporting tools that serve the needs of different kinds of users
  • aligning reporting software development with the FOLIO application software development
  • providing community support for using the LDP project software and queries;
    • but for scope, how long do we continue to answer questions about past versions of the software
    • maybe build an FAQ???
  • developing/testing/updating derived table and report queries tailored for LDP project systems (scope question: how regularly/for how long)
    • open the repository for non-SIG members and review their queries; may need to discuss, does this make sense, since it adds work?
    • influencing the shape of the product by building derived table queries - responding directly to user needs by designing helpful tables on top of the basic structure
  • maintaining documentation
  • gather requirements from the broader FOLIO community related to reporting needs, document them, advocate for them
    • providing information about what our users need, through needs assessment
    • create/maintain connections to functional area SIGs
    • be responsive to new apps and functional areas
  • connecting non-FOLIO datasets to FOLIO data
    • especially ReShare, because the reporting platform is part of the LDP ecosystem
    • even for non-ReShare data, this work is well supported by the LDP ecosystem
    • legacy system data
    • being able to help people work on non-FOLIO data ingest and reporting (example: ARES data into LDP) - maybe out of scope, but where does the line go?
    • importing data into the LDP on the fly - little tables, etc.
      • bringing an Excel file into the LDP in local schema to work with it, figuring out how to change data attributes to make it work
      • getting a full, large dataset into the LDP as a different schema

Supporting other types of FOLIO reporting

  • additional reporting solutions (e.g., direct reporting against FOLIO APIs, in-app FOLIO reports, additional third-party tools) - preference for open over closed tools
  • serve as a resource to other reporting solutions looking for feedback or partnership
    • in order to have that, there has to be engagement from someone who wants support for that tool; SIG is not responsible for being proactive about supporting new tools
    • as a SIG we can offer advice on the things that we have knowledge about within the SIG; if a third-party tool has no connection to the SIG, we won't have enough knowledge about that tool to directly offer support
    • would be nice to frame the scope in the positive: we have expertise in certain tools and techniques, and we're happy to share/support that
  • in past, have been asked to comment on/help design features for in-app reporting (still in scope?)
  • for tools we don't have direct access to, can we support users of those tools? help with SQL, understanding FOLIO data might be topics that cut across tools; should part of our vision be to welcome non-LDP users into the group more?
  • Maybe this info could just be folded into FAQ, since it's largely a statement of what we don't do
How to do report project tracking moving forwardAll
  • Where should we be tracking new report requests?
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • We are still looking for help with derived tables and reviewers. See our sign up sheet.
  • Our next session will go through the review process and one more example of porting over a derived table from LDP to metaDB.

ERM Working Group

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Honeysuckle documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Iris documentation is in progress, due December 15
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • Next: Reviewing a pull request 
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • Converting queries to dashboards: Sharon and Vandana (May 9, tentative)
  • hosting experiences from implementers

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)