2022-10-10 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









xArthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Eric LuhrsLehigh University
xSharon BeltaineCornell UniversityxLinda MillerCornell University

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Nancy BolducCornell University
Elena O'MalleyEmerson

Shannon BurkeTexas A&MxTod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Suzette CanedaStanford UniversityxJean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmotxMichael PatrickThe University of Alabama

Tim DannayMount Holyoke College
Eric PenningtonTexas A&M
xAxel DoerrerUniversity MainzxScott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Shelley DoljackStanford UniversityxNatalya PikulikCornell University
xStefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxVandana ShahCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five College
Linnea ShiehStanford University
       Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Alissa HafeleStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Kevin KishimotoStanford University
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Ingolf Kusshbz
Vitus TangStanford University

Joanne LearyCornell University
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Eliana LimaFenway Library Organization
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

Alexander LaoStanford UniversityxAngela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Hoping to put together a FOLIO Forum 

  • FOLIO Forums are a great outreach opportunity - a way to share work with a large community and support the 100% open-source LDP project
  • Nassib is interested in putting together a panel for something soon
  • Could be a general reporting topic, or something more specific (e.g., LDLite, using LDP for inventory clean up)
  • Anyone interested? Message Nassib or comment on LDP Slack

Request for review: FOLIO Implementers and their hosting solutions

  • Angela come up with a start of a comprehensive table of FOLIO implementers and their hosting solutions, plans for LDP/Metadb, and representation in the Reporting SIG
  • Please review and propose edits by Monday, October 10

Recent training on querying APIs with Postman and LDLite

Upcoming Events

  • Thursday, October 20: Mike Hucka from CalTech will visit the Thursday SIG meeting to talk about Foliage
  • Friday, October 21: Ingolf Kuss proposed a discussion on LDP Hosting for the SysOps and Management SIG meeting

How to find our latest recordings

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

Reporting SIG project workAngela
  • There is a new section in our SIG wiki: Reporting SIG Projects
  • Trying to start keeping track of proposals that have come up for projects to be making progress on our FOLIO Reporting Roadmap
  • We will be using the roadmap to help set priorities for projects
  • Can only focus on so many efforts at the same time, so need to be careful about coming up with new ideas and shifting our attention to them right away
  • New project ideas can get listed under planned projects, but won't necessarily try to spin them up right away
FOLIO Slack ChannelsAll

Discussion about the reporting channels in the FOLIO Slack space, now that we are most in the LDP Slack space

  • Sharon: using the Slack spaces a lot for troubleshooting; fine to move over to LDP, and works well if you're immersed in reporting, but not everyone is; worry about the bridge between FOLIO and the LDP Slack; don't want to lose the connection between LDP and the FOLIO project; also want to get new folks interested in reporting, and those folks will come from the FOLIO project; right now, not having a lot of conversations with ReShare; important to maintain a reporting presence on the FOLIO Slack; maybe have a pinned note on FOLIO slack that points to LDP slack but maintain a presence
  • one channel in FOLIO slack is enough to connect with reporting SIG and talk about problems with other FOLIO members from outside the SIG; specific issues can transfer into LDP workspace
  • discussing the data model of FOLIO; when it comes to this, there are people who are more involved in FOLIO than reporting, and we would lose that if we have those discussions in the LDP slack space; does that mean we need more than one channel still on FOLIO Slack, or maybe we should have a data model channel separate from just a general channel
  • there's also the question about what's specific to FOLIO vs. ReShare, but discussion of FOLIO data models could be very interesting to people reporting with non-LDP reporting tools, like LDLite and Bywater
  • What channels do we have?
    • reporting-announce
    • reporting-general
    • reporting-lab
    • reporting-ram-um-wg (not even really in use)
    • reporting-sysadmin (probably will stay)
    • reporting-users
    • reporting-data-privacy-wg (private)
    • MM and RM/ERM have moved over to LDP
  • What channels do we need?
    • reporting-general (would include announcements, general reporting questions)
    • reporting-data-model (maybe not needed, if reporting general is not high traffic)
    • reporting-sysadmin
  • Questions/Discussion:
    • Could we connect FOLIO slack channels to LDP slack or vice versa
    • Remember, conversations can be redirected - if something gets really technical in the FOLIO #reporting-general channel, we can recommend it get redirected 
    • We can also add more channels back in if we see a demonstrated need
  • Next steps:

Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • We are still looking for reviewers and testers for ldpmarc.
  • We have moved our Slack channel to the LDP Slack Workspace.

ERM Working Group

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Lotus documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Morning Glory documentation is complete and submitted
  • Nolana documentation will be in progress soon
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • ask for presenters: hosting experiences from implementers
  • Annual Reporting Goals
    • (in progress) Support the transition from LDP to Metadb (e.g., update derived table and report queries, update documentation, outreach, new training)
    • (ready to start) Developing training/onboarding for new SIG members/report users (esp. FOLIO-specific data model and transformation stuff)
    • Improve communication between SIG and developers of apps so we hear about data model changes in advance
    • continued advocacy on part of the SIG to governance groups
    • (ready to start) Review JIRA issues, clean up, revisit strategy for JIRA
  • Regular review of Milestones
  • Exploring new recruitment/onboarding strategies (e.g., buddy system)
  • Guest presentations: Foliage (Mike Hucka and Laurel Narizny from CalTech)
  • Demo latest version of LDP app, any new features?
  • Training: Using APIs
  • More work on asynchronous collaboration, how to engage in discussions and question answering more broadly
    • consider connecting discuss.folio.org with a Slack channel, to make sure any forum topics get highlighted on Slack as well?
  • Open question: should we update FOLIO LDP1-based Reporting First Implementers Grid

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)