2022-11-17 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









xArthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Alexander LaoStanford University
xSharon BeltaineCornell University
Eric LuhrsLehigh University

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Linda MillerCornell University

Nancy BolducCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Shannon BurkeTexas A&M
Elena O'MalleyEmerson

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Lloyd ChittendenMarmot
Jean PajerekCornell University

Tim DannayMount Holyoke College
Michael PatrickThe University of Alabama

Axel DoerrerUniversity Mainz
Eric PenningtonTexas A&M

Shelley DoljackStanford University
Scott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Stefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxNatalya PikulikCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five College
Vandana ShahCornell University

Lynne ForsWellesley College
Linnea ShiehStanford University
   Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Alissa HafeleStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Kara HartWellesley College
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Jamie JesanisWellesley College
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Vitus TangStanford University

Kevin KishimotoStanford UniversityxIrina TrapidoStanford University

Ingolf Kusshbz
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

Joanne LearyCornell UniversityxAngela ZossDuke University
xEliana LimaFenway Library Organization

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Release 1.5 of FOLIO Analytics (Nolana) is in feature freeze

  • Our CHANGES.md file shows the various updates for this release
  • Since the 1.4 release (June), we've had 145 commits changing 55 different files
  • Thanks so much to: SIG members contributing to development and review efforts, the leaders of the development subteams who have kept the work moving forward, Nassib for guiding these efforts and maintaining the repository (and for all of the extensive work on the software we depend on)
  • Planned release date: December 12

New members

  • Welcome/introductions
  • Would anyone like a buddy? Like to be a buddy?

How to find our latest recordings

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

New model for query reviews: review board
  • Time limited: sign up for one release (e.g., just release 1.6 - Orchid)
  • Onboarding will include training
  • Responsibility will be to contribute to pull request reviews throughout the release period
  • More details coming soon
  • Discussion
Product Council SIG check-in
  1. Can you share the purpose of your SIG: functional area/cross cutting/affinity group, etc?
    1. cross cutting
  2. What areas does your SIG have responsibility for?
    1. mission statement
  3. What do you feel like your SIGs purpose is currently? Has it changed over time?
    1. activities have changed over time
    2. purpose is essentially facilitating/enabling data delivery for all functional areas of FOLIO
  4. Do you have product owners who regularly work with the SIG? Do you feel that your requirements are being successfully developed into FOLIO?
    1. We do have a PO; he works with the SIG on a variety of types of activities and does coordinate with FOLIO development teams as needed
    2. Note that we don't have dedicated development support from the FOLIO project; we have an app that gets release with FOLIO releases, but development is contributed outside FOLIO dev teams
  5. How do you feel about the resources allocated in the development areas that are focused on?
    1. historically, reporting has been under-resourced
  6. What are some of the challenges facing your SIG/subgroup? Are there ways in which you feel the SIG has been unable to accomplish its mission?
    1. we could use the help of FOLIO governance to help institutions work with vendors on hosting LDP1 or Metadb; not a clear path to hosting for people considering implementation
    2. underrepresented institutions - we need members from more institutions (talk to community council about this?)
    3. there is misinformation about reporting solutions being shared across the project which causes unnecessary confusion instead of people asking for details from the Reporting SIG or LDP developers directly
    4. being a cross-cutting SIG means we have to maintain ties to a larger number of parts of the FOLIO community; generally an outreach challenge
    5. we don't hear about important changes to the data model or business logic of FOLIO apps in time to offer our perspective and be part of decision making (talk to technical council about this?)
  7. If you work on areas of development, do you feel like there are areas of development not resourced at all or significantly under-resourced?
    1. reporting development in general is not resourced
  8. What has been successful with the SIG? What things contributed to that success?
    1. appreciate all of the onboarding materials/training (though they could be grouped together a bit better)
    2. communication (which is constant)
    3. accountability - setting due dates, accomplishing goals
    4. skill building in various reporting areas
  9. What could the Product Council do to help the SIG?
    1. advocate for (production-ready) reporting functionality to be core to FOLIO and provide resources for its development
  10. Do you feel like the Roadmap accurately represents the work of your SIG (both desired and already accounted for)?
    1. yes, pretty much constant reporting activity in all areas
  11. How can we improve our communications with the SIG? Does the current monthly reporting work? Would have a dedicated PC meeting for your SIG be helpful?
    1. maybe an annual report?
    2. yes, probably do want a PC meeting to talk about reporting
  12. Is the SIG comfortable communicating with the PC and have a sense of when a PC conversation would be helpful?
    1. no
  13. What functions should the PC be accomplishing and how would the SIGs like to have those need met?
Review of In-Progress Projects
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata. MM notes
  • We reviewed the consistency of our LDP and metaDB derived tables which is looking good.

ERM Working Group

  • FOLIO Data Model Training (in progress)
  • ERM Query Development Status
  • Coming soon: Open Access
    • Report requests are being collected in the OA SIG Link
    • The test environment from the SIG Reporting will get the app OA
    • Test data will imported
  • Meetings are bi-weekly on tuesdays 11am ET alternating with RM Working Group
    • Next meeting will be at 22th, Nov
    • Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Morning Glory documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Nolana documentation is in review
  • Orchid documentation will be in progress soon, and plans are underway to include beta-level documentation for Metadb
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • Exploring new recruitment/onboarding strategies (e.g., buddy system)
  • More work on asynchronous collaboration, how to engage in discussions and question answering more broadly
    • consider connecting discuss.folio.org with a Slack channel, to make sure any forum topics get highlighted on Slack as well?
  • Open question: should we update FOLIO LDP1-based Reporting First Implementers Grid
  • Cleaning up our wiki pages
  • 11/28 SIG Meeting: Jesse and Owen from PC coming to ask us questions

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)