2022-06-27 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









xArthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxLinda MillerCornell University
xSharon BeltaineCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxElena O'MalleyEmerson

Nancy BolducCornell UniversityxTod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Suzette CanedaStanford UniversityxJean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmotxMichael PatrickThe University of Alabama
xTim DannayMount Holyoke CollegexEric PenningtonTexas A&M
xAxel DoerrerUniversity Mainz
Scott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Shelley DoljackStanford University
Natalya PikulikCornell University
xStefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxVandana ShahCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five College
Linnea ShiehStanford University

Alissa HafeleStanford University
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Kevin KishimotoStanford UniversityxSimona TabacaruTexas A&M
xIngolf Kusshbz
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Joanne LearyCornell University
Vitus TangStanford University
xEliana LimaFenway Library Organization
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Alexander LaoStanford University
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

Eric LuhrsLehigh UniversityxAngela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: ?
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Reporting Documentation Subgroup needs new leader

  • We are bidding a fond farewell to Eric Pennington, who has done a wonderful job on our query development teams as well as our documentation team. Thank you, Eric!
  • The documentation team now needs a new leader. This is generally one meeting a month with the FOLIO-wide Documentation Working Group, plus additional time coordinating with the Reporting SIG subgroup members. (The documentation is at a relatively stable state now, with minor updates needed for each new FOLIO release.)
  • Also subteam meetings every other week.
  • Documentation is written to conform to the Google Developer Style Guide.
  • No need to have extensive experience with the SIG or the FOLIO reporting systems at this time! This is a great way to learn about everything!
  • Please reach out to Axel Dörrer or Sharon Beltaine if you might be interested.

Relatedly, documentation for Lotus is Live!


Thanks, documentation team!

Request for feedback: take a look at the reporting pages and let Axel or Sharon know if you have suggestions!

Trying out a new Slack space for LDP questions

  • There are questions related to LDP projects (e.g., LDP-1, Metadb, LDLite, LDP query builder app) that cut across FOLIO and ReShare
  • Nassib is trying out a single Slack space for questions/support
  • Can use this invitation to add yourself

WOLFCon 2022

  • Aug 31-Sep 2; Hamburg, Germany
  • Registration Open
    • Early registration for in person is a $50 savings, extended to June 3 
    • Virtual attendance: $15, already open
  • Current planned sessions
  • Two reporting-related sessions planned:
    • SIG organized: Reporting Lessons from Implementers (Panel, Standard (50 min), Hall (up to 250 people), Live presentation)
    • LDP/Nassib organized:
      • Introduction to LDP

How to find our latest recordings

  • Separate folders right now: January/February recordings, recordings from March and onward
  • New problem with recordings: now need a password. Use the same password from our Zoom meetings. If you enter the password and it just takes you to the password screen again, refresh the browser page and the recording should show up.

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

Want to join Development Team meetings?

  • These meetings have been happening on Wednesdays, 9am Eastern, every two weeks
  • We are going to be sending around a scheduling poll to find a new time that is more convenient for Pacific coast
  • Let Angela Zoss (Old)  know in the next week or two if you would like to start coming to the meetings and want to be included in the poll

Reflection on alternating SIG meeting times
  • We have been on a trial of this schedule for SIG meetings for the last few months
  • Thoughts/reflections?
    • how does the convener feel about it?
      • actually not bad
    • how does it feel to only be able to attend Monday meetings?
      • feel good about it if I know I'm not going to miss anything, which has been true so far
    • how does it feel for people who go to both?
      • this might help prevent complete silos between the two meetings
      • same topic in two meetings, but might have very different perspectives across the group, so can be more helpful than if it was just one group
      • we can more high level discussion in these meetings, leave 11am Eastern for more low-level discussions
    • do miss having everyone in the same room, but that's not really possible; are there ways we can use the Slack channels at the general reporting level to have more interaction, foster sense of one community rather than two
      • this is a FOLIO-wide problem
    • Asia participants?
      • might want to reach out to Lucy of Shanghai Public to ask about their reporting needs (Shanghai is 12 hours ahead of US Eastern)
    • Think it's going well; we do have things on the list that we need to work on, but we are working on them
    • It does seem slow, but maybe more so for the development
    • Need to keep looking for ways to collaborate, and tracking is a part of that
    • How can we go faster? That's a FOLIO-wide problem. How do we make sure we have resources/personnel in all the areas we need?
    • Councils are appointed - maybe use that model for parts of the SIG work where we need constant support
    • Question: what would allow SIG members to reserve time for SIG work? Would using something like council membership help people block time?
    • That is a thing, and in many ways, FOLIO is feeling an acute lack of POs; some people pick things up that are supposed to be temporary, and it's often hard to step back from that
    • Institution is motivated to provide the PO because there is a connection between providing the PO and what is available to the institution; that can be something to use when we talk to institutions about SIG membership (explain that the membership offers specific benefits to institutions)
    • fighting against institutions needing to pull people back from the global project to focus on local implementation
    • maybe twice a month SIG meetings frees people up for more dev meetings (or work)
Reporting Vision and Strategy work

Reporting SIG Roadmap

If time allows, start drafting roadmap milestones

  • talk to institutions about SIG membership (explain that the membership offers specific benefits to institutions)
    • maybe reduce the burden on institutions by making explicit the time period people would be committing to
  • developing a leadership pipeline where people have opportunities to gain progressive responsibility
  • building greater sense of single community through Slack and other asynchronous opportunities
  • revising tracking system for query development
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • We are still looking for reviewers. Please contact MM reports working group.
  • We have completed pull requests for all but 1 derived table for metadb.

ERM Working Group

  • ERM Prototype and Query Development Status
    • folio-analytics version 1.4: finish fixes
    • folio-analytics version 1.5: add comments to columns in all derived tables
  • Topics for the future
    • eUsage
    • Open Access
  • Meetings are bi-weekly on tuesdays 11am ET alternating with RM Working Group

RM Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Honeysuckle documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Iris documentation is in progress, due December 15
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • Reviewing a pull request 
  • How to deal with External Stats reports?
    • maybe subteam leads check in about that
    • probably wait until after Metadb conversion is more complete
  • hosting experiences from implementers
  • Reporting Vision and Strategy work
    • How to do report project tracking moving forward
  • End of June: how is the alternating week schedule working for SIG meetings?

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  • A test Action Item (Ingolf)