2023-02-13 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









xArthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Eric LuhrsLehigh University

Sharon BeltaineCornell UniversityxLinda MillerCornell University

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Nancy BolducCornell UniversityxElena O'MalleyEmerson
xShannon BurkeTexas A&MxTod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Jean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmot
Michael PatrickThe University of Alabama

Tim DannayMount Holyoke College
Eric PenningtonTexas A&M

Axel DoerrerUniversity Mainz
Scott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Shelley DoljackStanford University
Natalya PikulikCornell University
xStefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxBob ScheierHoly Cross
xJennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegexVandana ShahCornell University

Lynne ForsWellesley College
Linnea ShiehStanford University

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Alissa HafeleStanford UniversityxAmelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Kara HartWellesley College
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Corrie HutchinsonIndex Data

xJamie JesanisWellesley College
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Vitus TangStanford University

Kevin KishimotoStanford University
Irina TrapidoStanford University
xIngolf Kusshbz
Catherine TuohyEmmanuel College

Alexander LaoStanford University
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

Joanne LearyCornell UniversityxAngela ZossDuke University
xEliana LimaFenway Library Organization

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesSharon

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Reminder: Join our Review Board

  • Great way to start learning to run LDP1 and Metadb queries, get comfortable with GitHub
  • No experience required! We will offer training.
  • We have three now, but we would love four!
  • Contact Sharon Beltaine or Angela Zoss (Old) if you have questions or would like to volunteer


Forum Title: FOLIO Reporting in Practice

  • Time: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 11:00am Eastern U.S. time
  • To Register: https://openlibraryfoundation.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_O0-8c003R-eDOyXlQKzvVg
  • Description:
    Librarians will discuss real-world applications and experiences of FOLIO Reporting with the open-source LDP software:
    • How LDP1 is used to improve inventory data quality
    • Helping new implementors get up and running with FOLIO Reporting
    • What Cornell did to prepare for implementing LDP1 and reporting support services
    • How Tableau dashboards are being used to provide interactive visualizations of LDP1 data
  • Presenters:
    • Jenn Colt, Cornell University
    • Angela Zoss, Duke University
    • Sharon Beltaine, Cornell University
    • Vandana Shah, Cornell University

Upcoming meeting topics

  • Feb 16: SIG survey results review and discussion, open Q&A
  • Feb 27: Update on derived table documentation (draft script)
  • Mar 2: presentation on how to use primary entries for contributors to filter and aggregate (Joanne Leary, Jean Pajerek, and Sharon Beltaine)

Any new members?

  • Welcome/introductions
  • Would anyone like a buddy? Like to be a buddy?

How to find our latest recordings

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

Review and discussion: LDP1 Hosting Discussion SummaryAngela

Investigate LDP1 Hosting Support

  • This document summarizes a discussion in the SysOps and Management SIG
  • Thoughts? Questions?
    • LDP1 user advice: don't query overnight while the database is updating
    • under security, state explicitly that LDP1 users are managed completely separately from FOLIO users (Angela will add this)
    • Who creates database accounts for hosted LDP1?
      • we seem to have to work with the hosting providers (Index Data, EBSCO)
      • request to EBSCO gets resolved very quickly
      • or maybe Cornell is doing the account creation instead of EBSCO, not sure
      • Stefan's library has scripts that create accounts; have different types of accounts - read-only, read-write; use read-only account by default, only use read-write for special cases
    • Where should we post this?
      • maybe under Library Data Platform on our wiki?
      • should it be linked from Implementers part of wiki, as well?
    • Next steps
      • Angela will edit and post to a more permanent place on the wiki

Review and discussion: Reporting SIG survey resultsAngela

Reporting SIG Survey 2023 - Results Summary

  • Thoughts? Questions?
  • Possible next steps
    • Wiki page clean-up group?
    • How to get people to join working groups and dev teams?
    • Survey seems to show that people are used to an idea of a traditional vendor model - someone walks you through the process, says welcome, gives a handout. FOLIO is a bit more DIY, throw yourself in the pool, find it all yourself. You have to put more personal effort into it. I was comfortable with that, but some people aren't. Survey suggests that people want that traditional support, but does FOLIO community really have capacity for that? Is that really the best place to put energy and effort?
    • What do we all think right now? What is our capacity?
    • Capacity is low, but yeah, as a new member felt totally lost and a buddy might have helped
    • Would be great to follow up with new people via email rather than calling them out in the meetings
    • Good to use Thursday meetings for beginner-friendly space
    • Do we like the survey? Maybe once a year?
      • Yeah, and try to get a bit more participation in the future
      • add a question - what would help you participate? you'll see in various communities that there is a minority who do a lot and others who don't participate at all, and not participation is actually an agreement

Recurring Items (Updated weekly, but not always discussed in meeting)

Review of In-Progress Projects (Recurring)
Review the release notes for FOLIO Analytics, LDP1, LDLite, LDP Reporting App, ldpmarc, Metadb Projects (Recurring)
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and Efforts Projects (Recurring)Community & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month, 12-1pm ET via zoom using the usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata. MM notes
  • We have begun working on the MM Data Model for folio. We are using as a these slides for our work.
  • We are looking for a convenor for the group. If interested, contact Jennifer Eustis on LDP/Metadb slack.

ERM Working Group

ACQ Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Morning Glory documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Nolana documentation is in review
  • Orchid documentation will be in progress soon, and plans are underway to include beta-level documentation for Metadb
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development: