2023-05-18 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









xArthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Eliana LimaFenway Library Organization

Sharon BeltaineCornell University
Eric LuhrsLehigh University

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxLinda MillerCornell University

Nancy BolducCornell University
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Shannon BurkeTexas A&MxElena O'MalleyEmerson

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago
xDung-Lan ChenSkidmore CollegexJean PajerekCornell University

Lloyd ChittendenMarmotxKimberly PamplinTexas A&M University 

Tim DannayMount Holyoke CollegexScott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Axel DoerrerUniversity MainzxNatalya PikulikCornell University

Shelley DoljackStanford UniversityxBob ScheierHoly Cross

Stefan DombekLeipzig University
Vandana ShahCornell University

Jennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegexLinnea ShiehStanford University

Lynne ForsWellesley College
Kimberly SmithMiddle Tennessee State University

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Alissa HafeleStanford University
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Kara HartWellesley College
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Corrie HutchinsonIndex Data
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

xJamie JesanisWellesley College
Vitus TangStanford University
xJeanette KalchikStanford University
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Kevin KishimotoStanford University
Catherine TuohyEmmanuel College

Ingolf Kusshbz
Kevin WalkerThe University of Alabama

Alexander LaoStanford UniversityxAngela ZossDuke University

Joanne LearyCornell University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Upcoming meeting topics

  • Monday, May 22: WOLFcon brainstorm (CFP for WOLFcon)
  • Thursday, June 1: Brainstorm outreach activities for the SIG, set up quarterly schedule
  • Monday, June 12: Onboarding, Part 2 (tentative)
  • Thursday, June 15: TBD

Combining MM and RA/UM subgroups

Any new members?

  • Welcome/introductions

How to find our latest recordings

(Always) Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.

Updates from developmentAngela

Rolling releases for FOLIO Analytics

  • Over the last year or so, we have had formal releases of FOLIO Analytics about every four months, aligned with the FOLIO flower releases
  • As we have more institutions relying on LDP1 and Metadb instances, a delay of four months to receive new queries is often too long
  • Additionally, having many pull requests waiting to be merged causes potential file conflicts (the same file gets edited differently by different people, and then the different edits have to be resolved manually)
  • Nassib has been making changes to have pull requests merge automatically when it has three approvals
  • Instead of waiting for a flower release, Nassib will then generate releases on a much smaller scale, very soon after a change or a small group of changes are merged
  • Even with these rolling releases, the query development teams will still organize work around FOLIO flower releases
    • We will recruit review board members for each flower release
    • We will schedule a specific release to coincide with the flower release
    • We will summarize all changes merged during a single flower release cycle in a release notes document, likely on a wiki page attached to the repository
  • For institutions that are running derived table queries from FOLIO Analytics, they can choose whatever update schedule makes sense to them; they can update frequently, wait for a flower release, selectively pick releases based on desired changes, etc.

Cleaning up JIRA Issues

  • The Reporting SIG used JIRA for early report request tracking, but we've left it behind recently
  • There are over 200 report requests and another few dozen "cluster" issues we created but don't really maintain
  • Now that our development work is so reliant on GitHub and we aren't in much active conversation with the FOLIO community about reports, it's time to clean up the old JIRA issues and transition them to GitHub
  • In our development subteams, we'll be going through these issues and making decisions about closing them and whether they will be addressed with any new query development
  • Hope to have much of this cleaned up over the summer

Recurring Items (Updated weekly, but not always discussed in meeting)

Review of In-Progress Projects (Recurring)
Review the release notes for FOLIO Analytics, LDP1, LDLite, LDP Reporting App, ldpmarc, Metadb Projects (Recurring)
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and Efforts Projects (Recurring)Community & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

ERM Working Group

  • Current topics
    • Reporting for FOLIO Apps
      • Open Access
      • eUsage
      • eHoldings
  • Meetings are bi-weekly on tuesdays 11am ET alternating with ACQ Working Group
    • Next meeting will be at 9th, May
    • Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation

ACQ Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Morning Glory documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Nolana documentation is in review
  • Orchid documentation will be in progress soon, and plans are underway to include beta-level documentation for Metadb
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

D-A-CH Working Group (D-Reporting)

  • Discussion on draft statement: "Hosting and Support"
    • The members of D-Reporting need more time to review the document and provide feedback
  • Ongoing topics
    • Onboarding training
    • DBS statistics
      • JIRA-Issues, Rpt-Clusters
      • Gap analysis to statistic codes, user counts etc.
      • Identifying functions that we need for statistics in Germany but are not yet implemented in FOLIO
  • Meetings are currently held by appointment
    • Last meeting: 8th, May
    • Next meeting will be at 15th, May (1 pm, CEST)
    • Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development: