2023-09-25 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









Arthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Eliana LimaFenway Library Organization
xSharon BeltaineCornell University
Eric LuhrsLehigh University

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxLisa McCollLehigh University

xLinda MillerCornell University

Shannon BurkeTexas A&M
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Elena O'MalleyEmerson
xDung-Lan ChenSkidmore CollegexTod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Lloyd ChittendenMarmotxJean PajerekCornell University

Tim DannayMount Holyoke College
Kimberly PamplinTexas A&M University 

Axel DoerrerUniversity MainzxScott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Shelley DoljackStanford UniversityxNatalya PikulikCornell University

Stefan DombekLeipzig UniversityxBob ScheierHoly Cross
xJennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegexVandana ShahCornell University

Lynne ForsWellesley College
Linnea ShiehStanford University

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
Susie SkowronekOakland University

Alissa HafeleStanford UniversityxKimberly SmithMiddle Tennessee State University

Kara HartWellesley College
Clare SpitzerStanford University
xCorrie HutchinsonIndex Data
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts

Jamie JesanisWellesley College
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Jeanette KalchikStanford University
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Kevin KishimotoStanford University
Vitus TangStanford University

Ingolf Kusshbz
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Alexander LaoStanford UniversityxCatherine TuohyEmmanuel College

Joanne LearyCornell University
Angela ZossDuke University

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesScott

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Product Council UpdateJennifer

PC meeting minutes 9/21/2023

PC meetings has introduced a new schedule: Thursdays 10 am - 10:55 am EST

3 new subgroups:

  • Re-architecting impacts: Wiki Page. The working group has had 2 meetings. Purpose: evaluate the proposal for Re-achitecting the FOLIO as product. This proposal was presented by Vince Bareau and Craig McNally at a couple of sessions at WOLFcon. 
  • SIG Updates: Wiki Page. 4 members. Reviewing the monthly SIG reports while there is a sense that the current isn't surfacing problems and we want to restructure this. This group is also trying to think how this ties in with the Roadmap. The subgroup will also look at the scope, and model for the Re-architecting work presented by Vince Bareau. This new work need to be anchered in one of the existing SIG. Kristin Martin suggest that the PC do a regular SIG report in one of the upcoming meetings in October
  • J. Eustis: Group is creating a template to submit issues to PC. 2nd meeting is tomorrow.
  • Meeting Hygiene: Meet first time yesterday, and will meet every 2 weeks. Converted the ideas from the PC shoulder meeting on 8/25/2023, and converted it to a spread sheet: a) structure, ... Meeting times to be more inclusive for people not is Europe and US. 

List App: This app was approved by the PC, but the TC review is still in process. Will meet tomorrow (9/22/2023) for final decision.

Quesnelia release: Proposal to set the initial date for the planned Quesnelia release until April 29th - [draft] Quesnelia (R1 2024) - The date is picked to avoid conflict with Easter Holiday and Spring Breaks. 



New Outlook calendar invitation

  • Scott sent invitations for the new series to people listed on our Reporting SIG Home page
  • Anyone still need an invitation?
  • (If you don't consider yourself a member and don't want to receive meeting invitations, you can remove yourself from the table.)

Impacts of New Fields and Features

  • Are there any new fields or features we should know about from any of the functional areas that may impact reporting?
    • New
      • There is a proposal to deprecate the donor field in the POL and replace it with an Organization type of donor in Quesnelia.  This will also be linked to inventory in a future release as well.
    • From Recent Meetings

Upcoming meeting topics (tentative)

  • Reporting Development in Preparation for Poppy Release
  • Reporting Experiences from Various Institutions
  • Lists App
  • Managing Duplicates

Any new members?

  • Welcome/introductions

How to find our latest recordings

SIG Recruitment

We will need to be recruiting for a variety of roles in the coming months. Please consider whether you would be interested. Reach out to Scott Perry  or Sharon Beltaine with any questions.

  • Representative for the Documentation Working Group
  • Query developers
  • FOLIO Analytics Review Board (immediate need!)

New Product OwnerScott/Sharon/Corey

Corey Hutchinson is assuming the role of product owner for Reporting.

  • Nassib will still be involved as director of Metadb/LDP - the community project which is a member project of OLF

Reporting Development FocusScott & Sharon

    • Proposal for documenting additions and changes to Derived Tables and Report Queries (Scott and Sharon)
      • Collect changes by FOLIO release version in one document in the wiki on folio-analytics, as we did previously in CHANGES.md
      • We could still merge changes continuously (rolling releases), but summarize changes by FOLIO release instead of by month or by tag
      • Future of derived table refreshing functionality for Metadb (Nassib will report on at a future meeting)
        • Derived tables will be able to be refreshed live, like public tables
      • Upcoming discussion points
        • Stefan is on vacation and can’t present on cookbooks but has done much work creating cookbooks
Merging ACQ and ERM working groupsSharon/Stefan

When the ERM working group have finished the Open Access topic, they only have to maintain all their SQL statements and documentations. Many exciting new topics will then be of interest to both ACQ and ERM. For this reason, it makes sense to reunite the groups. 

Recurring Items (Updated weekly, but not always discussed in meeting)

Review of In-Progress Projects (Recurring)
Review the release notes for FOLIO Analytics, LDP1, LDLite, LDP Reporting App, ldpmarc, Metadb Projects (Recurring)
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and Efforts Projects (Recurring)Community & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

MM/RA/UM Working Group

ERM Working Group

  • Current topic
    • Reporting for the FOLIO App Open Access
  • Meetings are bi-weekly on tuesdays 11am ET alternating with ACQ Working Group
    • Next meeting will be at 26th, Sept
    • Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation

ACQ Working Group

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Orchid documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Poppy documentation is in development
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

D-A-CH Working Group (D-Reporting)

  • Preparation for the FOLIO days in Stuttgart (Germany) 10.+11.10.23
    • Hands-On Lab FOLIO Reporting (practical reporting on common use cases)
    • Internal working session (D-Reporting)
    • Presentation by Nassib (virtual) on LDP/Metadb
  • Ongoing topics
    • Onboarding training
    • DBS statistics
      • JIRA-Issues, Rpt-Clusters
      • Gap analysis to statistic codes, user counts etc.
      • Identifying functions that we need for statistics in Germany but are not yet implemented in FOLIO
  • Meetings
    • The next meeting will take place at the FOLIO days (11.10.).
    • Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development: