2017-11-15 Forum Facilitators Meeting notes



Discussion items


November 15: FOLIO Development Process: It Takes a Community

  • Recording is up; attendance list has gone out. 38 attendees out of 66 registrations. Rough guess is 50% of attendees involved in the project, 50% not.
  • Hearing reports of people having problems getting in. Firefox is a problem, but not Chrome; blog link was bad but Twitter link was okay.
  • (Finding a new version of openlibraryenvironment.org theme!) The date to the side of the blog post is the date it was posted, not the date of the event itself.
  • Getting statistics on YouTube views? Something to look into.
  • What would be useful is a 5-minute video on how to get started with the communication channels.
  • In introduction to the FOLIO forum, point out that URLs and quick answers will be posted to Twitter in real-time. (Thanks Kathleen and Rachel!)

December 13th: End of year review:  FOLIO review

  • Intending to schedule a meeting between the panelists and host after Thanksgiving to coordinate.
  • What do the Forum Facilitators want to get out of the end-of-year review?

January 24th: What's the Buzz? Introduction to APIs in Libraries

Host: Eric Hartnett

Presenters: Beth German and Jeremy Huff


February 7: Update on Innovation Grants

Host: Mark Canney

Presenter: Andrew Nagy

  • Can also include mention of second round awardees and announcement of the third round
  • Mark to give the date to Andrew to block off on the calendar.

February 21: Open Source Panel

Webinar on Open Source Panel like the panel session at ALA Midwinter

 (Description of ALA Midwinter panel)

  • Panel for the Forum version will add a few people and may drop a few people from the ALA Midwinter version

March 7: Roadmap Update

March 21: GoKB

GOKb update, other updates Open Library Foundation news and work going forward

Host: Michael Winkler

Presenter: Jahann Rolschewski, SVBSBK

April: Acquisitions Update

  • Work around ER&L starting on March 4th

April: Metadata Management SIG Update

June: Walk-through/Discussion of Beta Release and Partners

ALA Annual: June 22-25

July: Roadmap Update

Review Idea Bank 
  • Presentations could start to look at deployment, particularly in a hosted, non-hosted environment
  • Work to prep for migrations to FOLIO. Get implementation managers on a panel.
  • Reach out to convener of Implementation SIG (late Spring?)
  • How FOLIO is impacting libraries now: view from Cornell – wait to reach out until we have better sense of implementation timelines; How are they viewing FOLIO from a strategic perspective
  • What is the international perspective on FOLIO? Can we get a panel of international sites (Australia, GVB) to give their perspectives? Plus, international update
  • Host a Forum in the Spanish language with roadmap discussion and demo, could be hosted by Lydia @ EBSCO, include UNAM development team
  • April/May timeline, before beta implementation in June/July: have a beta site talk about their interest in FOLIO (how and why as a strategy); what are some of the mechanics of the site doing the implementation
Conference News? 
  • ALA Midwinter – session for Innovation in Libraries Symposium not accepted
  • ALA Midwinter – Open Source presentation: Saturday, 10am - 11:30am at Hyatt Regency Denver Convention Center, Mineral Hall E (3rd floor)
  • ALA Midwinter – Evening Reception, anticipating Saturday evening; being brought up on PC call to inform decision
  • NASIG – one submission made

Action items