2024-02-12 Reporting SIG Meeting notes









Arthur AguileraUniversity of Colorado, BoulderxEliana LimaFenway Library Organization
xSharon BeltaineCornell University
Eric LuhrsLehigh University

Erin BlockUniversity of Colorado, Boulder
Lisa McCollLehigh University

Kathleen Moore
xLinda MillerCornell University

Shannon BurkeTexas A&M
Nassib NassarIndex Data

Suzette CanedaStanford University
Elena O'MalleyEmerson

Dung-Lan ChenSkidmore College
Tod OlsonUniversity of Chicago

Lloyd ChittendenMarmot
Jean PajerekCornell University

Tim DannayMount Holyoke CollegexKimberly PamplinTexas A&M University 

Axel DoerrerUniversity MainzxScott PerryUniversity of Chicago

Shelley DoljackStanford UniversityxNatalya PikulikCornell University
xStefan DombekLeipzig University
Emily SanfordMichigan State University
xJennifer EustisU. Massachusetts Amherst / Five CollegexBob ScheierHoly Cross

Lynne ForsWellesley CollegexVandana ShahCornell University

Lisa FurubottenTexas A&M
Linnea ShiehStanford University

Alissa HafeleStanford University
Susie SkowronekOakland University

Kara HartWellesley CollegexKimberly SmithMiddle Tennessee State University
xCorrie HutchinsonIndex Data
Clare SpitzerStanford University

Jamie JesanisMCPHS
Amelia SuttonU. Massachusetts
xJeanette KalchikStanford University
Simona TabacaruTexas A&M

Harry KaplanianEbsco
Huey-Ning Tan

Stanford University

Tim KiserMichigan State University
Vitus TangStanford University
xKevin KishimotoStanford UniversityxChristie ThomasUniversity of Chicago

Ingolf Kusshbz
Irina TrapidoStanford University

Alexander LaoStanford UniversityxCatherine TuohyEmmanuel College
xJoanne LearyCornell University
Patrick WaiteU. Mass Amherst

Joseph MolloySpokane Public Library

Discussion Items




Attendance & NotesSharon

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda (or substitute)
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates



Changes in Reporting SIG Meetings

  • Reporting SIG meetings will take place at 11am ET on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month only starting Monday February 12, 2024
  • "Workshopping your queries" - part of each Reporting SIG meeting will be devoted to time to work through any query questions you may have

Impacts of New Fields and Features (Sharon)

FOLIO Analytics Update

  • Poppy and FOLIO Analytics 1.7 were both released in December.

Upcoming meeting topics (tentative)

  • Lehigh's use of the Reporting App, Lisa McColl - Feb 26
  • Metadb Updates, Nassib Nassar - March 11

Any new members?

  • Welcome/introductions

How to find our latest recordings

SIG Recruitment

We will need to be recruiting for a variety of roles in the coming months. Please consider whether you would be interested. Reach out to Scott Perry  or Sharon Beltaine with any questions.

  • Representative for the Documentation Working Group 
  • Query developers

Workshopping Queries


Bring your questions on queries written for the LDP or Metadb so we can "workshop" them! 

  • Working with the calendar tables in metadb. Exceptions and normal hours.
    • How to merge queries for the exception and normal hours. 
    • A similar report was tried in one of the subgroups that was able to extract interval times. 
      • S. Dombek provided an description of how this was done and the limitations of this solution. An example was provided.
  • What is the schedule of the derived table updates and what are the issues?
    • Comments about
      • performance querying on the main tables - queries are timing out. performance on the derived tables is much more acceptable.
      • concern about mixing data between the static derived tables and the more real-time data of the main tables. 
      • more secure to use derived tables for dashboards, etc, because only limited permissions are required.
  • How do we get data between the receiving app and orders? 
    • Has been forwarded to Nassib to discuss in the MetaDB users group.
  • Has someone experience with sequence querying? 
    • How to create diagrams illustrating the difference between loans during the last year and distributions within the year. 
    • Could be a first good example for a sequence for historic data.
  • How to add ordinality to an existing table?
    • Will post in SQL channel since no time. 

Next Tasks for Reporting SIG: Consortia SIG and DBS reportsCorrie, Stefan

Consortia SIG and the DBS reports for D-Reporting are the next big task for the Reporting SIG

  • Check overlaps between the reports from Consortia SIG and D-Reporting
  • It is crucial to find the right method
    • Collect requirements via JIRA. Some missing features may still need to be implemented. The implementations should be via FOLIO rather than LDP. Example: Statistic codes
    • The data is stored very differently
    • Distribution type: Cookbooks, Scripts etc. with the possibility to set parameters
PC UpdatesJennifer Eustis2024-02-08 Product Council Agenda and Meeting Notes. We discussed the evaluation process for new functionality and the role of the PC in relation to the Community Council and Technical Council.

Recurring Items (Updated weekly, but not always discussed in meeting)

Review of In-Progress Projects (Recurring)
Review the release notes for FOLIO Analytics, LDP, LDLite, LDP Reporting App, ldpmarc, Metadb Projects (Recurring)
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and Efforts Projects (Recurring)Community & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

D-A-CH Working Group (D-Reporting)

  • Feb 5th, 2024: Presentation of the BibControl software from Triangle Solutions GmbH
  • Ongoing topics
    • DBS statistics
      • JIRA-Issues, Rpt-Clusters
      • Gap analysis to statistic codes, user counts etc.
      • Identifying functions that we need for statistics in Germany but are not yet implemented in FOLIO
  • Meetings
    • Contact Stefan Dombek if you would like to get a calendar invitation

Metadb FOLIO User Group

  • Meetings
    • Contact Nassib Nassar if you would like to get a calendar invitation

Product Council

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • Orchid documentation is live on https://docs.folio.org/docs/
  • Poppy documentation is in development
  • Additional Context
    • The Reporting SIG has representation on the Documentation Working Group, which is building end-user documentation for https://docs.folio.org/docs/ (mostly linking to existing documentation over on GitHub)

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development: