2023-04-26 Meeting notes



Discussion items

1 minScribeAll

Maccabee Levine is next, followed by Tod Olson 

5 minTCR Board Review


N.B. Deadline for Poppy is .  TCRs submitted after  (prior to the TC meeting) may not be completed in time.

  • TCR-25 (ui-consortia_settings): Zak Burke almost done.  No qualms.  Checking an 'Add Settings' button.
  • TCR-26 (mod-consortia-settings):  Jeremy Huff Review started.  Some scalability & concurrency concerns.

Hopefully review both next week.

5 minCC / PC Updates

Any updates from the PC and/or CC?

  • CC: 
    • Budget Planning (below)
    • Reviewed governance – no changes
    • Extended election nominations another week to May 1st.  CC is short two nominees vs. open seats.
  • PC: 
1 minElectionsAll
  • Nomination window has ended extended.
  • We have 6 nominations for 5 open spots.
5-10 min

Technical Council Sub Groups Updates


AWS Costs: Maccabee Levine 

  • Meeting weekly.  Kitfox already making progress on reducing costs, i.e. nights/weekends downtime. 
  • Processes drafting now for monitoring and shutting down environments.

Breaking Changes: Jeremy Huff 

  • Met yesterday.  Discussion of items that came up in public review: system interfaces, etc. 
  • New PR soon.
  • PR titles need better titles for clarity on what stage of review they're in.

Improve TCR Process Jeremy Huff 

  • Presentation wrapped up, maybe ready to present to wider community.
  • Third-party libraries question is debated.  Better to defer to the future or hammer out now.
  • Discuss on next week's agenda if not sorted out in next subgroup meeting (tomorrow).

Java 17 RFC Jeremy Huff 

  • Craig McNally: Subgroup created on Monday.  See how quickly we can move through internal review steps without unduly rushing.  Goal was to complete in a week.

Distributed / Centralized Config Florian Gleixner 

  • Met Monday.  Defined some terminology, and what is the status quo.  Discussing which configurations will be stored where.

Architecture Review: on hold

Onboarding Docs Maccabee Levine 

  • Survey sent out Monday.  Reminders will be sent.
  • Did notify Australia and BAMA teams, which are entirely new.

Action: Craig McNally will ping Khalilah about identifying other new developers across existing teams.

5 minUpcoming meetings
  • TC dedicated discussion:   11:00 AM ET
    • Browser support

N.B.  Check your profile settings to ensure the timezone is configured appropriately.  Events in the TC calendar will have incorrect times if your not configured correctly.

5-10 minRFCsAll

no news.  May be past deadlines.

5-10 minPossible Budget Surplus

From Maccabee Levine in #tc-internal slack:

From this morning's CC meeting: CC is looking at a possible budget surplus next FY due to discontinuing the developer position (Mikhal) and expected reductions in AWS costs (details).  There was discussion about asking the other councils for input on possible spending priorities, and CC would discuss again at their next meeting in 2w.  From the minutes:

  • Options for spending $150,000 - $200,000 in FY24?
    • Pay for other needed positions in the organization?
    • Buy out part/half time of individuals to perform needed functions?
      • Dev lead?
    • Other wish list items from the project?


  • Spitballing ideas
    • Jeremy Huff: How is CI pipeline funded?
      • Marc Johnson AWS costs paid under these funds.  Personnel volunteered by various orgs.  Traditionally it was predominantly Index Data, now some EBSCO/EPAM people.
      • Jeremy Huff Community would be served by ownership / responsibility of that process.  Interested in pursuing / defining more clearly.
    • Maccabee Levine Part funding dev lead / mentor for new developers?  Funding part of someone's time on community dev support.
      • Tod Olson Can we just re-fund Mikhal?  Not taking that loss would be great.
      • Jeremy Huff Support anything that keeps him on the project, but maybe crowd-sourcing this.  Proposals from the community to award an initiative?
  • Jenn Colt Do we know that funding would be stable?
    • Marc Johnson Discontinuing community-funded developer position was part of it.
    • Jenn Colt One-time funding or ongoing?
    • Jeremy Huff Also might be able to fund something for X years.

Action: Maccabee Levine and Jeremy Huff will compile ideas and present to TC next week, to get ok before sharing with CC at their next meeting.

10-15 minOfficially Supported Technologies - UpkeepAll

A process was proposed for how to keep these pages up-to-date, we need to revisit and put some processes into place.  As it stands right now, we have members of the community making changes w/o consulting the TC.

Previous Notes:

  • Florian Gleixner advised that he added a header including page properties for some of the release pages for folks to review
  • Craig McNally asked what states do we want for these pages e.g. Draft, Final? 
    • Jeremy Huff suggested Active (for actively being defined by the TC), Supported (for after initial version is finalised, yet may still change) and No longer supported (for after the support period for the release has ended)
    • Marc Johnson wondered how we would come up with the list of statuses, without figuring out the process for maintaining these policy documents
    • Jeremy Huff asked how we determine during the module evaluation process, which release's supported technologies they should be judged against? Marc Johnson and Craig McNally advised that this would be the release currently ongoing at the time of submission
    • Jeremy Huff suggested that we could use Confluence's page restrictions functionality for limiting who can change these documents and add some clarifying text to advise folks contact the TC to submit changes. Craig McNally volunteered to investigate this
    • Craig McNally asked for volunteers for defining a list of statuses and adding a description of the process to the top level page. Jeremy Huff volunteered to take these on


Action: Craig McNally will start that conversation.  Why it would be easier to manage this on our own.

Action: Jeremy Huff Capture this on the wiki, including intro language.  Add metadata to each page as well.

5-10 minTerminology DocumentAll

From Jenn Colt in slack:

@cmcnally for the TC agenda next week, this is what I think we need: a vote on whether to accept the document as it is now (with our deletions) but with a statement adding that there are other definitions of platform in use. I believe Simeon/Kristin/me will get that statement in before the meeting. I think that vote is what we need to give CC. After that we should discuss whether people want to participate in a new group to talk more about the definition of platform. I think people may also indicate that there are other definitions they would also like to revise. After this vote, I think it will be the end of my involvement with the doc on this level and someone else should consider coordinating TC proposing some definitions. Right now it seems like we are not happy with existing definitions but don't have alternatives to propose, but that is just my assessment of where things are.

Notes: We get a lazy consensus to accept the document as it is. 

Maybe the best thing we can do is to form a TC subgroup which is open to other members of the community.

  • All the councils have accepted the draft document as-is.  Except specifically for the "platforms" definition(s), TC is invited by CC to keep that going.
  • Craig McNally : Better for a regular TC meeting.


time permittingBrowser SupportAll

From slack:

There's a conversation in the PC channel about browser support... I don't want to stick our collective nose into other's business, but is this something the TC should be weighing in on?  It feels like it's somewhat of a grey area.  Thoughts?  See https://folio-project.slack.com/archives/CTYQZ7PF1/p1682096515922269


RAN OUT OF TIME.  Discuss on Monday.

Topic Backlog

Action Items

  • Craig McNally to investigate using Confluence's page restrictions to limit editing of the officially supported technologies lists
  • Jeremy Huff will propose a list of statuses for the officially supported technologies documents
  • Jeremy Huff will add a description of the process for changes to the officially supported technology processes to the top level page