Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.





Attendance & NotesAngela

Attendance & Notes

  • Today's attendance-taker: Linda Miller
  • Today's note-takers:  Team Leads for project updates

Announcements /


Table conversion from LDP to Metadb

  • Working on a spreadsheet that matches current LDP tables up with new Metadb tables, which should make it easy to convert existing LDP queries to work with Metadb

Reporting SIG Holiday Schedule

  • Plan to cancel December 27 and January 3
  • Any additional dates we should cancel? Maybe December 20?

Recruiting New Query Developers

  • The Reporting SIG is always on the look-out for new query developers. Please let us know if you are interested in doing query development or if there are others at your institution who might be a good fit.
Planning for WOLFcon 2022Angela

Request to PC:

  • WOLFcon 2022 planning underway - and we need SIG/Council input.  August 31 through September 2 at Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany.  See slides for details.  Need ideas for sessions; for instance, from community council: governance retrospective/discussion, quarterly community meeting, and budget and planning session.  The early ideas can be rough; they are useful for people planning budgets.  Thinking there should be sessions for developers, SMEs and SIG members, and library leadership.  Add items to FOLIO at WOLFcon by December 1.  Refinements will happen starting in December.

Any thoughts?

  • What is WOLFCon?
    • technically all OLF projects (FOLIO, ReShare, VuFind, GoKB), but historically FOLIO had a big presence
    • 2021 was virtual
    • Technical Council goes into deeper topics at these gatherings (e.g., technical debt, architectural blueprint)
    • Reporting SIG often offers training, also advocating 
    • Can meet with other SIGs
    • what are the sorts of things we cannot do well in our weekly one hour; things that benefit from longer time, physical presence; training, workshopping
    • want to share with organizers - expect there to be many virtual attendees, need a true A/V, technical presence like you would have for distance learning; at past WOLFcon, we have brought our own devices - laptops on Zoom, microphones, cameras, etc. Very difficult for non-physical attendees to understand what is happening.
    • Also climate consciousness - virtual attendance is better for the world
    • what would make a virtual conference different from our normal virtual meetings?
      • blocking calendars
      • regional meet-ups
      • virtual attendance certificates
      • encourage change of mindset, have people really step away form normal day-to-day
    • topic thoughts
      • panel discussion with people who have implemented reporting database solutions (give advice, answer questions) - LDP, Panorama, Bywater, anything else
      • keep repeating that reporting is important
      • options for hosting a reporting environment
      • overview of reporting platforms (e.g, Metadb & LDLite)
      • FOLIO Analytics introduction
      • What are FOLIO's commitments to, e.g., openness? How can the governance model protect those commitments against industry pressures?
    • things to think about
      • there are limited spots for full-group presentations
      • there are limited rooms for meetings in the venue
      • we could potentially organize virtual gatherings alongside WOLFcon without requiring a room in Germany
Updates and Query Demonstrations from Various Reporting Related Groups and EffortsCommunity & Coordination, Reporting Subgroup Leads

Project updates

Reporting development is using small subgroups to address priorities and complete work on report queries.  Each week, these groups will share reports/queries with the Reporting SIG.  Reporting development team leads are encouraged to enter a summary of their work group activities below.

RA/UM Working Group

MM Working Group

  • The zoom link for the meeting is Usual FOLIO password. Our lab sessions are open to everyone. Please bring your questions, examples, and comments about reporting and metadata.
  • Meetings are 1st Tuesday of the month 12-1pm ET

ERM Working Group

  • On going investigation on extracting ERM data with LDlite
    • will rebuild existing derived tables with LDlite
    • will show results and examples on 22nd Nov
  • Work in progress on report of agreements by cancellation dates
  • Group will pilot to document this areas documentation on mermaid
  • ERM Prototype and Query Development Status
  • Bi-weekly schedule (next meeting 23rd, November 9:00 AM ET)
    • Zoomlink (password is the common zoom password in the FOLIO community)

RM Working Group

  • subscription costs and subscription counts queries PR posted to folio-analytics
  • looking at using to document data models in finance areas of FOLIO 
  • exploring ways to make it easier to find options for reporting parameters in your LDP (e.g., a list of locations, item statuses, etc.)
  • several queries for RM completed, but still need documentation, testing, and review
  • for latest updates, see RM Prototype and Query Development Status
  • weekly meetings on Thursdays at 9am ET on zoom – contact Sharon Beltaine for zoom link and invitation

Reporting SIG Documentation Subgroup

  • No changes
  • Additional Context

External Statistics Working Group

  • no updates currently
  • new organizational/tracking scheme for JIRA, with pointers to queries in folio-analytics repository
  • New organizational structure for External Statistics reports
    • external statistics reports (e.g., ACRL) typically require running queries from different functional reporting areas
    • these reports will be captured in JIRA under one UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issue, then the descriptions will point to each of the queries required to run them on the folio-analytics repository
    • institutions will need to rank each of these 8 new UXPROD-XXXX report cluster issues
    • each reporting development team will take responsibility for the queries in their area for the external statistics clusters

Product Council

For all recent work on FOLIO Reporting SQL development:

Topics for Future MeetingsAll
  • Follow-up on MARC status, Quickmarc/Data Import conflicts
  • How to strengthen connections to SIGs and their developers to be kept in the loop about changes to the data model
  • Show and tell
    • how are institutions using the LDP
    • examples of using the local schema
    • Cornell's report ticketing system
    • Rollout plans from institutions
    • Ask someone on the sysadmin side to talk about LDP administration (Jason Root?)
    • What is done in JIRA? (JIRA clean up)
  • Training topics
    • adding test data in FOLIO snapshot
    • How to do ad hoc querying with the derived tables
    • How to use the LDP app
    • using KNIME to build reports (LDP edition)
    • use of local schema for custom tables
    • more on MARC (ask Jennifer)
    • using different applications (other than DBeaver)
    • Insomnia for API queries?
    • SQL
    • LDP to metadb
    • Metadb implications
      • if schema changes, will that be relatively seamless? old fields still in history, but new fields in current?
      • if fields are deprecated and removed, what happens if they come back again?
      • how will deleted records show up?
    • GitHub
    • Panorama
    • LDLite (again?)
  • Discussion:
    • how to rank clusters with institutional rankings going away?
    • consortia SIG is talking about a central office app of some kind; that app might need to deal with consortia-wide reporting
    • how to train:
      • wiki pages with examples? form a small project team? (e.g., how to pull from marc, how to use local schema)
      • each dev team create training about the data structures in that area?
    • Query style (ask Nassib)
    • Gathering institutional query repositories; someone can propose a new page or a new addition to an existing page on FOLIO Analytics?
  • Upcoming:
    • SQL advice/query optimization, LDlite scripts that can extract ERM data and create derived tables (Axel)
    • query demo - MARC (Tod)

Review and update Topics for Future Reporting SIG Meetings 

  •  A test Action Item (Ingolf)